I wish you a new year filled with joy, prosperity, and successful marketing initiatives. For those who want a roadmap, here are the ten rules from the Effective Product Marketing seminar restated in the form of resolutions. Perhaps one or more of these will inspire you.
1. I will never confuse efforts with results.
2. I will know who I am talking to before I attempt to communicate.
3. I will create marketing tools and programs that influence a targeted buyer or customer persona.
4. I will not confuse product positioning with program messaging and strategy.
5. I will develop support for my go-to-market plans by giving management a business case for their investment.
6. I will develop web content and collateral that drives buyers into and through the sales process.
7. I will write benefits statements that are succinct answers to a buyer’s problems.
8. I will give the salespeople clear insights into each persona’s priorities, supported by persona-specific messages and tools.
9. I will integrate product-oriented programs into a single strategic campaign for each type of persona I need to influence.
10. I will avoid the checklist marketing trap by doing the Gather, Focus, Assess, Measure and Improve steps.